The Royal Alberta College

When are you NOT required by law to provide your SIN?

You do not have to give your SIN when you purchase or obtain most goods and services. You may be asked to provide your SIN for the following purposes, but you are not legally required to provide it when:

  • funeral arrangements
  • proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
  • completing an employment application (before you get a job offer)
  • completing an application to rent a property
  • completing applications for credit products (e.g. credit card, loan or mortgage) with a financial institution to facilitate a credit rating check
  • cashing a cheque
  • applying for a video club membership
  • completing some banking transactions (mortgages, lines of credit, loans)
  • completing medical questionnaires
  • renting a car
  • subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
  • writing a will
  • applying to universities and colleges
  • negotiating a lease with a landlord
  • registering for supplemental health offered by your employer
  • communicating electronically, particularly online

*The information on this page has been retrieved from the Government of Canada’s website for information regarding Social Insurance Information.

en_CAEnglish (Canada)